Friday, March 6, 2020

Mother + Daughter Trip

I recently came back from a trip to Charleston, SC with my mom. We've been going to Charleston on a mother/daughter trip since 2011 - except for the years I lived in Charleston, 2012-2015. Originally we were going in the summer, but we've since switched to visiting in either January or February to help fight off the winter blues.

Traveling with my mom isn't always the easiest, but this trip is an important tradition for both of us and I'm glad we've kept it up all these years. She definitely sent me this Southern Living article at least twice... The formula is pretty much the same every year - stay at the John Rutledge House Inn, spend a day shopping on King Street, and try out a new restaurant. This year, we made a concerted effort to try more boutique shopping on King Street, rather than just at the same stores we always visit, and it was such a nice change of pace. I'm including our itinerary below, as well as a list of our favorite shops we visited.

The John Rutledge House Inn

Friday
:
  • Checked into the John Rutledge House Inn: We absolutely love staying here and we've had the same room since we started visiting in 2011! The service here is wonderful and we love the afternoon tea/snack/brandy breaks and excellent breakfast options. It's in a great location for exploring South of Broad or Upper King Street. I hate to say it, but we are considering staying somewhere closer to Lower King Street next year because it seems as though all the new restaurants are opening down there. But I don't think I could cheat on the JRH like that...
  • Dinner at The Establishment: This was a new to us restaurant down from the inn on Broad Street. We picked it solely because of its location to the inn so I had no idea what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. We ended up sharing a few small plates, standouts include the lobster raviolo, lump crab gnocchi, burrata, and duck. It is definitely more upscale than I was expecting, given the somewhat relaxed interior, but the live pianist elevated the experience. I loved it so much that my husband and I already booked a table with friends for our trip to Charleston later this month!

Saturday:
  • Shopping on King Street:
    • Candlefish: This was such a wonderful experience! The sales associates were so attentive and fun, and the space is just beautiful. I'm a huge candle lover so their "candle library" was a must-visit for me. A bachelorette party was starting a candle-making workshop while we were there and it looked like so much fun. We left with some candles for us and gifts for others.
    • YETI Charleston: I didn't consider myself in YETI's target demographic but I have a new appreciation for the brand after visiting their Charleston store. They have an awesome bar and space for live music. This is also on our list of places to revisit later this month!
    • Skinny Dip: Charleston: This was also on my list of must-visits as I wanted to pick up one of their "CHS" sweaters, and I'd heard so much about it. The space itself is beautiful and it features a lovely hand-painted mural of Rainbow Row. We didn't get a chance to try the bar upstairs but we will be back next year. I thought they did a great job of selecting pieces and designers that suit the Charleston aesthetic. 
    • The Copper Penny: I find this place a bit trendy for my tastes, but mom loves it. They have a few off-shoots around downtown, and there's almost always a huge sale going on. 
    • Jordan Lash: We happened upon this place by accident and I was very impressed. I love shopping for clothes for my husband, and I found some great deals here.
  • Afternoon tea at Twenty Six Divine: We were very much looking forward to having afternoon tea here after a day full of shopping. Twenty Six Divine is a bit of a drive from Upper King Street. Their scones were to die for but I found it a little cramped and loud for my tastes. Also, it was a bit more "quirky" than traditional afternoon tea, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. 

  • Dinner at Circa 1886: We saved the best for last. I'd been to Circa years before and had high hopes for this dinner. They did not disappoint. We didn't realize it at the time we booked, but if you stay at the John Rutledge House Inn, you receive a very generous discount on a three-course meal at Circa. It is absolutely a must if you stay at the JRH - one of my top five dining experiences in Charleston. The standout for me was the Piedmontese Beef, pictured above. My mom was blown away by the African Squash Soup. A lovely ending to a lovely day.
Broad Street
All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Just enough time to shop and eat - our favorite activities. I love trying out new restaurants and visiting old favorites, and am always on the lookout for a new haunt. Looking forward to returning with my husband in a couple weeks for a dear friend's wedding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment